Member Highlight: Village of Lyons
The Village of Lyons is a long-established small community in Fulton County Ohio, just south of the Michigan line. It was one of the first European settlements in the county when the rest of the inhabitants were Native Americans. Stories of the history of the village describe mostly friendly relationships with Native Americans before 1850. A ridge trail created by these first inhabitants became a roadway to the east, the road that is probably now SR 120. Memories of old settlers recorded in 1904 also talk about the problems in establishing the Ohio-Michigan border including the temporary arrest of land surveyors.
In 2010, the village is just less than one square mile in area and is home to about 559 people. Most workers in the village commute to construction, manufacturing, or health care jobs. The village is fairly prosperous, with a low poverty rate and somewhat higher income and housing values than the state of Ohio as a whole. Village children attend Evergreen Local Schools, which is a consolidation of the Fulton, Lyons, Metamora and Chesterfield school districts established in 1964. The annual Lyons Chicken Bar-B-Que is the last weekend in July, with a parade, sports tournaments, and a dj for music in the evening.
Water supply and flood control are a problem for all communities in northwest Ohio. In Lyons, Mayor Mary K. Vroman reports that residents are benefiting from a 30” storm tile installed along S. Adrian Street to improve drainage. Coming soon, the village will be upgrading a water line on Linden street from 4” to 8”. These major capital investments reduce flooding and safeguard a reliable water supply for residents. Mayor Vroman says, "Being a member of TMACOG provides us an additional resource to address issues concerning our village. The sharing of ideas and networking with other communities is a great benefit."
photo by Ron Murd